I. Basic Purpose:
Installs, repairs and maintains all ventilating, refrigeration,
cooling, ice making equipment, and air conditioning systems and
equipment throughout the corporation at moderate to difficult
level. Has basic understanding of Building Automation and
associated controls. Works under general supervision.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental
policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and
safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory
and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional
communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers.
Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of
teamwork and collaboration.
3. Maintains established departmental policies, procedures,
objectives, quality assurance and safety standards.
4. Inspects and performs preventive maintenance on ventilating,
refrigeration, cooling, and air conditioning systems and equipment
to ensure all are functioning properly.
5. Has basic working knowledge of building automation systems
6. Installs new equipment and systems. Repairs and maintains
current equipment and systems as needed.
7. Maintains and repairs systems; test efficiency of system;
balances systems and makes adjustments as necessary. Consults with
Manufacturer's representatives for technical support.
8. Maintains control of all Freon and ensures compliance with
respect to Freon releases to the atmosphere.
9. Maintains compliance with current codes and regulations in
all aspects of HVAC maintenance, repair and replacement.
10. Provides customer support by offering advice and in-services
to staff on proper use of equipment.
11. Communicates with vendors, technicians, managers and other
internal customers regarding scheduling of maintenance and repairs,
status, installations and follow-up.
12. Must have basic working knowledge of variable frequency
13. Coordinates with Supervisor to determine work request
priorities and order necessary supplies.
14. Assists with communication to vendors regarding pricing,
ordering, and delivery of parts and supplies.
15. Provides cost estimates for internal bids and reviews
commercial bids. Assists with pricing research and provides cost
estimates for parts, supplies and equipment.
16. Prepares purchase requests and receives supplies and
material related to projects to insure timely project completion.
Maintains proper inventory of supplies and replacement
17. Coordinates and provides oversight of work performed by
contract workers and laborers.
18. Maintains department records, reports, and files as needed.
Updates plans and drawings with changes to maintain current "as
19. Participates in "on call" coverage as required.
20. Continuously observes and monitors building, work
environment and work projects to maintain compliance with all
applicable codes, regulations and corporate standards. Takes
immediate action to report any perceived violations.
21. Provides first response to disaster/emergency situations by
assisting the affected area, as described in departmental
22. Uses hand tools, power tools and electronic equipment
associated with accomplishing the work of the position described
above. Maintains tools and equipment in good working order. Returns
tools to designated storage areas after use.
23. Keeps work areas orderly, clean and safe. Applies proper
safety procedures in the use of tools, machinery and supplies,
including the use of appropriate safety equipment and apparel.
24. Assists with other Facilities Engineering projects as needed
performing general, routine maintenance and servicing operations as
well as special projects throughout the corporate facilities.
25. Participates in educational programs and inservice meetings,
and completes paperwork documenting attendance.
26. Attends meetings as required.
27. Duties may require access to secured medication rooms. While
working in medication rooms, does not handle or remove medications.
Ensures room is secure at all times and takes precautions to ensure
that patients, family members, and general public do not enter
medication room for any reason.
28. Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific
to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
29. Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and
To effectively fulfill the requirements of this position a
candidate must have a high school education or equivalent. The
candidate must have seven years of practical experience or
Trade/Technical School and four years of experience preferred. A
current Refrigerant Recovery Universal Certificate is required upon
hire or within 90 days of hire. The candidate must have a current
Florida Driver's License. This position is subject to random drug
testing as part of the MMHS drug free workplace policy. Position
also requires the ability to read and comprehend instructions and
correspondence as well as technical manuals, MSDS documentation,
drawings, and schematics. A high degree of mechanical and
electrical aptitude is essential. Ability to perform somewhat
complex mathematical problems related to the position. Ability to
solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in
situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to
communicate effectively, present information, and respond to
questions from all levels of personnel. Good customer service
skills are required.
IV. Physical Requirements: (Facilities)
The position requires heavy lifting and the ability to tolerate
100+ degree temperatures and freezer temperatures of 15 degrees.
The essential physical demands of the job require lifting up to 35
pounds overhead, 40 pounds to shoulder height, 60 pounds to waist
level, carrying up to 50 pounds and pushing/pulling up to 60
pounds. These activities comprise up to 33% of the workday.
Additional essential requirements include constant walking,
reaching, and handling/grasping. Frequent squatting, bending,
kneeling, reaching overhead, twisting, and standing are also
essential physical demands. Associates will be exposed to some
tasks which require awkward positioning. Occasionally, climbing and
sitting are required. Independent decision-making is required.
Mental concentration is very important. Working with precise limits
of accuracy is also required. The percentage of the job that is
repetitive is 50%.