Company: Village of Palm Springs
Location: lake worth
Posted on: May 3, 2021
General duty police work in the protection of life and
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
The following duties are normal for this position.
- Effect an arrest, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and
other restraints: subdue resisting suspects using maneuvers and
weapons, and other approved weapons in self-defense.
- Prepare investigative and other reports, including sketches,
using appropriate grammar, symbols and mathematical
- Exercise independent judgment in determining when there is
reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exists to
search and arrest, and when force may be used and to what
- Operates a law enforcement vehicle during both day and night,
in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted
limits, in congested traffic and in unsafe road conditions.
- Communicate effectively and coherently over law enforcement
- Gather information in criminal investigations by interviewing
and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects and
- Load, unload, aim and fire handguns, and other firearms under
conditions of stress that justify the use of deadly force and at
levels of proficiency prescribed in certification standards.
- Perform searches of people, vehicles, buildings and outdoor
areas, walking for long periods of time, detaining people and
stopping suspicious vehicles and persons.
- Conduct visual and audio surveillance for extended periods of
- Engage in law enforcement patrol functions that include such
things as working rotating shifts, walking on foot patrol and
physically checking the doors and windows of buildings to ensure
they are secure.
- Effectively communicate with people, including juveniles, by
giving information and directions, mediating disputes and advising
of rights and processes.
- Demonstrate communication skills in court and other formal
- Detect and collect evidence and substances that provide the
basis of criminal offenses and infractions and that and that
indicate the presence of dangerous conditions.
- Endure verbal and mental abuse when confronted with the hostile
views and opinions of suspects and other people encountered in an
- Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and
disasters to include directing traffic for long periods of time,
administering emergency medical aid, lifting, dragging and carrying
people away from dangerous situations and securing and evacuating
people from particular areas.
- Process and transport prisoners using handcuffs and other
- Extinguish small fires by using a fire extinguisher and other
- Read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents, including
the preparation and processing of such documents as citations,
affidavits and warrants.
- Process arrested suspects to include taking their photographs
and obtaining a legible set of inked fingerprint impressions.
- Patrols areas of the village by; car, on foot, motorcycle, or
The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude
them from the classification if the work is similar, related or a
logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be
required or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and to
determine proper course of action to be taken.
- Ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously and
tactfully, and with respect for the rights of others.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written
instructions. Ability to read, write and speak effectively.
- Ability to meet physical requirements and standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in
- Knowledge of the street locations, geography and types of
construction in the village.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
Florida Law Enforcement Certification; Valid Florida Driver's
License and an acceptable driving record. Certifications must
remain valid for the period of employment in this classification
Must possess a working knowledge of computers, copy machines,
scanner, facsimile machine and other business equipment as
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. The work environment
characteristics described are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Meet physical requirements as indicated for State of Florida
Certification. Must endure sustained acts of physical exhaustion
and endure periods of duty under unfavorable and life-threatening
situations. Must be able to wear bullet-resistant vest. Heavy (45
pounds and over) lifting and carrying. Reaching, pulling, pushing,
balancing, smelling, and throwing. Climbing (including ladders).
Visual and hearing acuity, with or without correction, are
required. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing. Walking,
standing, crawling, kneeling, bending, stooping, jumping, running,
Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified
individuals with a disability.
Works inside and outside in various weather conditions with: noise,
fumes, gases, smoke or flames, odors, slippery and uneven surfaces,
heights, poor lighting. Work in or with moving objects or vehicles
and in hazardous and stressful conditions. Reasonable
accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals
with a disability.
Keywords: Village of Palm Springs, Palm Beach , Police Officer, Other , lake worth, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!