Software Engineer, Vulnerability Researcher
Company: Independent Software
Location: Palm Beach
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Who are we?
Independent Software is a consulting, product, and solutions
firm dedicated to the practical application of software and system
engineering technologies to solve complex problems. We bring
together world class engineers with proven engineering best
practices, domain expertise, commercial technologies and proven
agile management approaches to create high value solutions aimed at
helping our customers meet their most critical business and mission
Why Independent Software?
We are focused on continual learning and evolution. We don't do
things because "that's the way we've always done things"; we listen
to our employees and adapt to the changing marketplace. We look at
the big picture and encourage our engineers to get training and
certifications in emerging technologies that will help shape our
We've been profitable year after year. We're always on the
lookout for great engineers to join the team and we recognize that
our employees are the heart and soul of what we do. We focus on
recruiting talented people, treating them right, and then allowing
them to do what they do best. No red tape. No micromanagement.
Smart people want to work with smart people, and we love people who
are passionate about what they do, and finding ways to do it
What you will be doing!
Independent Software is seeking a Vunerability Researcher. This
candidate will need the following skillset to be successful in this
- Key areas of focus include:
- Hardware debugging using JTAG/gdb
- Knowledge on typical embedded systems including UART, boot-up
sequences, and updating devices
- Reverse Engineering ARM, PPC, or Mips binaries
- Discovering Vulnerabilities in firmware, device drivers, or in
proprietary embedded operating systems
- Repurposing vulnerabilities for specific effects
- Static and dynamic Analysis
- Fuzzer Development
- Malware analysis
- System Emulation
- Familiarity with at least one common low-level architecture
(x86, ARM, etc) is important, as is the ability to conduct
vulnerability research against applications compiled for that
architecture. Experience with software protection and binary
armoring is a plus, and familiarity with modern exploit mitigation
techniques and counter-measures is a must. Experience with one of
the four platforms Windows, Linux, iOS, embedded: specific
platform: Windows. 4-6 years of related experience.
- Development experience is desired, but at least some scripting
experience is required. Whether in python, ruby, or some other
language, you should be capable of quickly developing the
instruments needed to help you succeed in your reverse engineering
and vulnerability research efforts. The most capable candidates
will have a variety of low-level operating systems experience as
well as cross-platform vulnerability research. If you've written
everything from a kernel paged pool exploit to a simple userland
stack-based buffer overflow, built your own adaptable
instrumentation and integrated a solver to help you identify and
reach code, or modified emulators and JIT engines to add your own
instrumentation to help you identify entire classes of
vulnerabilities, you'll be right at home.
- Candidates must be able to defeat advanced security techniques.
Projects will be undertaken in small teams with close coordination
with customers to quickly enhance capabilities or resolve issues in
- US. citizenship is required. All candidates must be able to
obtain and maintain a government security clearance.
- Working as part of a team you will also need to be familiar
with source management tools such as GIT and team coordinating
instruments like Atlassian suite of work products.
Degrees are not required for our positions, but they can be
helpful. Certifications are appreciated, but not necessarily
indicative of your preparedness for the day to day this position
Clearance: THIS POSITION REQUIRES A CURRENT TOP SECRET
Top Reasons to Work at Independent Software:
- Great people deserve even better benefits, from comprehensive
healthcare coverage and generous leave time to discounts with all
of our vendors.
- You are not just a job title. That's why we tip the work-life
balance scale in your favor. It's not about being billable, it's
about being valuable.
- Whether you're working on-site or in our offices, your role at
Independent Software is just as critical to our success as your
- We're constantly researching and implementing the latest
technology so you've always got the right tools at your
- As we've grown, we've retained that small company feel. When we
say we have an open door policy, we actually mean it.
- Independent Software is comprised of wonderfully generous
folks. We believe in supporting the causes our employees care
about. Bring us an opportunity to help and we'll listen.
- Teamwork got us where we are today. Our collaborative
environment allows you to maximize your true potential.
- The work we do is exciting, critical stuff. No matter your role
at Independent Software, you're helping us keep the nation safe and
- We have a history of great achievement and, with each year, our
company gets even bigger and better. As we grow, so does the
opportunity for our employees.
- We host a variety of fun employee and family events throughout
the year to say thanks for all that you do to make Independent
Software a technology leader as well as a phenomenal place to
- Competitive salary
- 100% company paid BC / BS insurance premiums for family health,
dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) retirement plan with company paid match of gross
- A generous Paid Time Off and Holiday package
- Lots of paid training! We encourage all employees to seek out
training opportunities like conferences, certification courses and
- We truly believe the right work-life balance can exist, and
it's here at Independent Software. Our work is extremely important,
but your job is just a part of who you are. When you enjoy your
life outside of our walls, you're at your best the next time you
walk through our doors. We do all we can to assure that happens
Independent Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer EOE,
Keywords: Independent Software, Palm Beach , Software Engineer, Vulnerability Researcher, Other , Palm Beach, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!