Laboratory Technician- PRN
Posted on: September 13, 2021
Here at Wellpath, everything that we do is about taking care of
people - our patients, our staff and our partners. We are committed
to making a difference by providing hope and healing to vulnerable
patients in challenging clinical environments. Our talented,
compassionate team thrives in an autonomous environment, is
empowered and supported by education, training and the resources to
practice healthcare the way it is meant to be and strives to
"Always Do The Right Thing!"
Our Laboratory Technician is responsible for phlebotomy, as well as
the storage of specimens until they are picked up by the outside
Lab personnel. The Lab Technician receives, processes, and files
all lab test orders, receives the results and delivers these to the
units. The Lab Technician communicates directly with the ordering
physicians and ARNPs when necessary, and adheres to all infection
control procedures. The Lab Technician reports on all general
performance of the outside lab services.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required
- Minimum two (2) years of experience collecting laboratory
specimens in a residential health care environment, organization or
- Able to collect and process laboratory specimens in a
psychiatric hospital setting
- Knowledge of infection control techniques required
- Must be certified in phlebotomy and laboratory specimen
collection and maintain a current copy of certifications in the
hospital at all times
- Phlebotomy and other fluid samples. Draws blood for ordered
tests and stores these and other samples in accordance with
infection control procedures. Also draws stat lab work. Is
knowledgeable about how samples are to be drawn and stored. Uses
therapeutic communication when working with patients, and patient
identifiers. Maintains specimen area.
- Organizes and maintains the orders and results for all lab
tests, and delivers copies of the results to the units or the
clinic. Informs the ordering physicians/ARNPs of refusals. Directly
communicates stat results to the ordering physician/ARNP.
- Gathers data on the general performance of the outside lab,
such as turnaround times, receiving reports, ability to do add-on
tests, needs for repeats for suspected inaccuracies. Monitors
critical lab test reporting.
- Is sensitive to cultural diversity issues, treats patients as
an individual, and considers the culture of the patients when
providing care and treatment.
- Is knowledgeable about care and treatment needs of patient of
different ages. Provides individualized care and treatment that is
consistent with/sensitive to the age and life span developmental
needs of each patient.
- Includes the use of seclusion and restraint and alternative
interventions, documentation requirements, disaster and fire
procedures, infection control, risk management.
- Continues professional development through in-service
education, workshops, conferences and self-study necessary to
maintain current knowledge applicable to the position.
- Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a
variety of practical and emergent situations and accurately follow
standardized procedures that may call for deviations.
- Must be able to apply sound judgment beyond a specific set of
instructions and apply knowledge to different factual
- Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to
- Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous
- Perform other duties as assigned
Wellpath is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer
Keywords: Wellpath, Palm Beach , Laboratory Technician- PRN, Other , Indiantown, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!